Celebrate Independence day with these healthy and patriotic recipes. From breakfast to dessert and everything in between, these red, white and blue recipes will be an all American hit.
Serves: 24 stuffed strawberries
- 1 (8oz.) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto (or 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract)
- 12 large strawberries, cut in half
- ¼ cup finely chopped almonds (or graham cracker or cookie crumbs)
- 72 small blueberries
- In a small bowl, mix together softened cream cheese, sugar, and Amaretto (or vanilla or almond extract) until well combined.
- Spoon filling into a small ziploc bag, seal bag, and cut off one corner of bag. Pipe filling on top of each strawberry half.
- Sprinkle almonds (or graham cracker/cookie crumbs) on top of filling. Top each strawberry half with 3 small blueberries. Store in refrigerator.
Patriotic Watermelon & Feta Flag
Read More At: http://wenderly.com/patriotic-watermelon-feta-flag/
- Half of a seedless watermelon
- 8 ounces of feta cheese
- 1 pint of blueberries
- Cut and cube half of a seedless watermelon.
- Cube 8 ounces of feta.
- Rinse off 1 pint of fresh blueberries.
- Pour blueberries into a bowl, preferably square and place in the top left corner of a rectangle (or oval) platter.
- Assemble watermelon and feta into rows, starting with the watermelon
4th of July Toast
This is another one that basically doesn’t require a recipe – just a guideline. Take a piece of toast, and slather it with cream cheese. Then add a layer of strawberry or raspberry jam on top. Create the star corner with blueberries, and the stripes with bananas. A delicious, healthy and patriotic breakfast!!
Red, White, and Blueberry Turkey Burger Sliders
1. 1 pound ground turkey
2. 1 red bell pepper, roasted and chopped
3. 1/4 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
4. whole wheat slider buns
5. 1 tsp. coriander
6. 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
Add all ingredients in a bowl and fold until well combined. Form six to eight small patties. Place on a low-to-medium heat grill for about 5 minutes, then turn and cook about 3-5 more minutes. Place each patty on a slider bun and top with the blueberry balsamic reduction. Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients for Blueberry Balsamic Reduction
1. 6 ounces fresh blueberries
2. 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
3. 2 packages Truvia
Muddle the blueberries over medium heat in a sauce pan until completely broken down and the juices start to bubble. Add the balsamic vinegar and Truvia. Watch closely to prevent burning and keep stirring until it thickens.