Food that is served at Hanukkah festivities tends to be a little on the heavier side since most of the items are friend in oil, but there are a few small tweaks that can be made so that some of the items are just a little healthier!
Our kid friendly Easy, Low fat Latkes, courtesy of our regional sponsor Giant and Martin’s food stores is the perfect addition to your regular holiday traditions!
- 4 cups pre-shredded potatoes or 4-5 peeled, grated potatoes
- ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp oil
- ADULT: Set oven racks at middle and lower positions, preheat oven to 450F. Prepare 2 baking sheets by covering with foil and spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Also chop the onion.
- CHILD: Measure grated potato, chopped onion and flour and put in mixing bowl. Measure and add salt and pepper. Using 2 forks, toss mixture to mix well.
- ADULT: Crack eggs and separate one of them.
- CHILD: Pour eggs into potato mixture. Measure and add oil. Toss again to mix.
- CHILD AND ADULT: Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of the potato mixture onto the prepared baking sheets and press lightly to form cakes.
- Bake 10 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom.
- Turn the latkes over, switch the position of the baking sheets and bake for about 5 minutes longer, or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a platter, arranging the latkes browned-side up, and serve.
- (May be prepared ahead and stores, covered, in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat at 350F for 10 minutes.)
- Makes 16 latkes.